After I finished my first suicide print (so called because once you print a color you cannot go back and make changes), I was hooked!
This next print was much larger than the first two and I also chose to do even more colors. I ended up with 7 colors total. Each color took me about 4-5 hours to do (including the carving in between colors and printing). I did a total of 10 editions, but ended up with 9. One was sadly lost in the process 😥 These things happen though. My professor always tells me to “let it be a woodcut,” in other words “Rachel, stop being so anal about it.” It’s hard to be a perfectionist when it comes to this process because you can’t always get a perfect registration or even print the first time.
As some of you know, Dia de los Muertos is a holiday in which families have a celebration to memorialize and honor loved ones that have passed on. This one is in memory of my Nana and Great Aunt. They were two very short and petite ladies with two very large personalities. I can still remember going to my nana’s grave before she passed away (plot hunting anyone?) and her request that she be buried with playing cards so she and her sister would have something to do in purgatory to pass the time. On each side is an ace of hearts. I’m not insinuating that they cheated when playing games, but they sure did like to have a little fun!
So here we go!
I have my initial sketch on the board and I carve away everything I want to stay white. I added some cards in the background later
First color rolled onto the board. The blue tape and matte are for registering my paper.
The yellow was so bright! I was very glad when that color was done
2nd color orange! I’ve carved away everything I want to stay yellow.
(apparently I did not take a picture of just the 1st two colors, oops!)
Next I carve away what I want to stay orange and then I roll on the next color, red.
Three colors in!!
Next I carved away what I wanted to stay and red. I didn’t have purple ink so I mixed red and blue and white. It’s a little darker than I wanted, but what can ya do… You live and you learn
Next I carved everything that was to stay purple and rolled on my next color, blue. Again, I forgot to take a picture. Most likely due to the fact that it was probably 2 am. Gotta love deadlines!!
I carved all the blue away then rolled on green! As you can see, the registration is not perfect, but practice only makes perfect!
I still have yet to take a picture of the completed piece. But the last color I printed was black. You can see below what the board looked like by that point. Printing got to be a little tricky because there was not much surface area for the paper to cling to.